This evening I’ve got the pleasure of speaking at WordUp Brighton’s October Meetup, about “The future of work is scary: Deep Work in the WordPress economy”.
This should be a fun talk! It’s a topic I think is really important, and am very interested. Here are some links and resources pulled out from the slides:
- Deep Work by Cal Newport. The authority on this stuff!
- Unsubscribe by Jocelyn K Glei. A really practical book about similar ideas to Deep Work.
- The Organised Mind by Daniel Levitin. A research-based book that explains how you think.
- Pomodoro Technique (do this in 50 or 75 or 100 minute chunks instead of 25).
- Focus for Mac, or Timewarp for Chrome for blocking distracting sites.
- Messenger.com is a great way of getting Facebook chat without the distracting features bolted-on.
And, of course, here are the slides: